Monday 13 October 2014

Olive oil treatment for hair


I've been using olive oil as a hair mask/treatment for several weeks now and I'm loving the results.

Tips and Tricks:

What I like to do is to pour some extra virgin olive oil into a bowl (you don't need a lot, I use about 3 tablespoons for my long thick hair).

Then I pop the bowl into the microwave for about 10-20 seconds to heat it up.

Hot oil treatment is really effective for hair, I find that the heat really helps.

I would recommend wetting your hair slightly so the olive oil can distribute. Otherwise, I mix in some conditioner with the olive oil so it spreads more easily on my hair.

I then apply it on my hair, focusing on the ends. I avoid the top part of my hair as I don't want my hair to be overly greasy.

Next I tie it up in a bun and put a shower cap over it to lock in the heat which helps the treatment to be even more effective.

I wait at least 30 minutes. You can even keep this on for hours if you have the time.

Next, you wash it out in the shower. Many people have experienced some problems with this. I find the best method is to apply shampoo on your hair first and try to work the oily residue away first, then follow up with your regular shampoo on your scalp.

What I love about it:

I get silky smooth and shiny hair after my hair dries and I find that if I blow dry my hair, it looks even better.

The treatment definitely has a long term effect on my hair and I find it to be healthier in general.

It also doesn't affect my colour treated hair.

What I dislike about it:

Messy application and too much olive oil down your drains might create some problems in the long term.

But overall, it is a really cheap and effective hair treatment and mask and I prefer it over silicone based conditioners on the market.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment